About this blog right here. Uh huh...

Some people call my luv of mangoes 'a fetish'. Meh. I say it's gone way beyond that! This blog's my homage to the succulent fruit - memoirs, poetry, random thoughts, pics & anything mango-related I can get my tongue on.

Wednesday, August 15

Nigeria. 1981.


I was 7 yrs old then. Had just arrived from England.

Everything fascinated me. From the lizards that would nod a 'howdy do' as they passed me by - to the cockroaches who were really black butterflies. And I watched goats bleat 7 times before pushing beautiful small dark balls of shit out their butts - and watched the way these dark pellets would cascade to the ground and settle in a unique constellation.

a mango
I can't remember exactly when I met my 1st mango but I can imagine I was probably going about my business (as most Little Miss 7 yr olds do) - and the mango came bouncing along saying 'eat me' and I said 'are you sure?' and it said 'Mm-hmm'. So I did.

And the sun shone through my little belly for the rest of the day.

That night, like most nights, when there was yet another sudden electricity cut and my grandmother felt her way around for the kerosene lamp, I told her not to worry tonight...we wouldn't be needing it...

...as I patted my stomach - ready to release the sun out of my belly button.


© mango FReak

No comments:

DID YOU KNOW?

...that in Hinduism, the mango tree is considered to be sacred because Prajapati, the Lord of Creatures, was changed into a mango tree.

--------------

Fellow Mango FReakoids...

* Marney Makridakis
* Whisper of Madness [a salivating description of a mango]
* FreshMangos.com
* Gift Mangoes
* National Mango Board

--------------

My Nemesis ;-(

* Kaptain Krayola